98FM’s Ray Foley has been asking listeners to vote for the Top Ten Worst Christmas Songs, and is surprised at the result.
Listeners voted twice for ￼Fairytale of New York so Ray is now admimant that at least the Ronan Keating version of the song won’t be played on his show this year.
“It’s a shock that Fairytale Of New York appeared twice, but it’s a victim of it’s own success. Texters complained that The Pogues’ version gets too much airplay in the run-up to Christmas, while the Ronan Keating cover was just a bad
idea,” Ray said.
“So, even though we love his other stuff, there’ll be no Ro on 98FM this Christmas. We’ll definitely stick on The Pogues though – it just wouldn’t be Christmas without it!”
Top Ten Worst Christmas Songs in full
1: Fairytale of New York – Ronan Keating & Moya Brennan
2. Mistletoe and Wine – Cliff Richard
3. A Space Man Came Travelling – Chris De Burgh
4. Santa Baby – Madonna
5. The Darkness – Don’t Let The Bells End
6. Stop the Cavalry – Jonah Lewie
7. Fairytale of New York –The Pogues
8. Silver Bells – Perry Como
9. Wonderful Christmas Time – Paul McCartney
10. Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses