Classic Hits 4FM starts anti-bullying campaign
Classic Hits 4FM starts anti-bullying campaign
Posted by
Classic Hits 4FM starts anti-bullying campaign

The Niall Boylan Show on Classic Hits 4FM wants listeners to get involved in a national week long campaign to Say No to Bullying in schools.

The campaign will run from March 7th – 11th and will feature experts in the fields of physical and cyber-bullying, mental health issues, body image and more.

The ISPCC will be on air to give their advice and coping mechanisms for people affected by bullying. The show will hear from students who have been victims of bullying and hear their stories. The show will also hear from past bullies themselves.

Niall will feature schools from around the country who are taking the pledge to ‘say no to bullying’.

“I was a victim of bullying myself and it had a devastating effect on me growing up,” said Niall. “I’m in a position now that I can help and I can’t just sit back and do nothing. Kids are suffering around the country and very little has been done about it! I want this project to go nationwide. I want it to force the government in to taking action and I want to prevent kids suffering the same as I did”.

Niall wants to encourage students and adults of all ages to take a pledge as follows:

“Stand up, Speak out, Stop

We will not join in any bullying behaviour; we will not use our hands, our voices or our computers to hurt another person. We are taking a stand against bullying.

We are……….. and We Say NO to bullying.”

Listeners will be encouraged to say that they have taken the pledge on social media.

0 7 2720 01 March, 2016 On-Air 9:13 am 20163 Tuesday, March 1st, 2016

About the author

Roy Martin is the Managing Editor of Radio Today. You can follow him on Twitter @roymartin or email roy.martin@radiotoday.ie

View all articles by Roy Martin

7 comments

1. Lorraine Lally

Dear Mr. Boylan,

I have developed a schools programme that is entitled “ changing conflict” we are currently in our second school in Galway City and the aim of the programme is to teach the students about conflict and mechanisms for dealing with it in life.
    I am aware of your anti- bullying campaign and my programme was created with the issue of bullying in mind. Personally I take issue with the word “bullying” as the research shows that the bullies are often victims themselves.
    My programme has been given EXPLORE funding by National University of Ireland in Galway and I am facilitating the programme with the assistance of volunteers Kevin, Paola, and Melissa.
    I would love to be part of the discussion and debate on the issue on bullying with a focus on how to develop a real plan to tackle it with focuses objectives that can be achieved.
    From running my programme many teachers have told me that they need support and training themselves on the area of conflict. The structures for dealing with bullying varying in schools and there is a need for the government to intervene to improve and protect children.

Best Wishes.

Lorraine

2. Jeanette Smeman

Hi Naill,

As much as I hate bullying and have seen the devastating effect it can have on people (some teenagers even committed suicide, also a few years ago in the country where I come from, Holland), I think it is wishful thinking to fully ban bullying. As a child in primary school, at the age of 12 years old, my friend Jolanda and me were the bullies, but also the popular girls (not only amongst the boys, but everybody wanted to be our friend). And that despite the fact that I had flappy ears and wore glasses! Having two older brothers taught me to stand up for myself. My friend and I never got physical, but just a warning to “grab” a classmate (Conny for instance) after school hours was enough to make her shiver, although we never waited for her on the corner where we had said we would meet her. It gave us power.
    Later, as a grown up, I met our previous victim again and I apologized for my bad behaviour. She responded quite enlightening, saying I needn’t apologize, for we were just kids, remember? So all these years after primary school, especially when I saw school photos, I felt bad about what I had done, while Conny just had carried on living a happy nice life, got married, had children…
    But my point is: Conny was right! (of course we never physically harmed her, but mentally it must have hurt, as that was our intention!): WE WERE JUST KIDS.
    In a great part in the animal kingdom bullying is part of life. (Not only young) wolves fight amongst each other: sometimes even without an obvious reason in every wolf group there is a victim that is the last one to eat, or sometimes is kept away from a carcass totally. Monkeys tease one another, even to the point where the victim is really hurt, elephants do the same. Young animals do that to determine who will be leader, who will be follower. It’s nature. What we humans can do however, is set boundaries to how far (our) children can go, and try to make them understand how bullying hurts the victim. Maybe it’s an idea for parents to give bullying kids the “silent treatment” for a few days, exclude them from all interesting activities or even conversations at the dinner table, just to make them realize what a victim feels day in, day out, year in, year out. Big chance they don’t like being the victim!

3. Bill

I was bullied when I was young and I can honestly say that the effects of bullying remain with you going through your life .
    When it come to your working life it dilutes the confidence that you should have.
    Your always looking to be reassured in what you do even though your well capable of doing it.I am now 56 and your never forget that period of your life it was absolute hell but having said that as a parent you are more aware of the signs and yes it happened to two of my children but fortunately from past experience we sorted it before it got out of hand.
    Well done to the show for making people aware of the problem if it helps one person well then it’s worth it.
    Bill

4. Ted

I must listen to the show tonight. Lorraine Lally, what schools in Galway have you implemented your programme? Out of curiosity, how would you handle a serious bullying offence in a primary school scenario. As you say the bully is a victim of life. The parents are probably to blame, but if a serious escalated incident occurred how would you handle it? Prevention can’t help because the damage has happened, so how do you go about it? What if the victim fights back? Doesn’t the school then punish both parties? What if the bully badly injures the victim?
    When does/should the bully get pushed out of a school? What happens to them if they do get pushed out? Kicking the can down the road.

5. John Cunningham

Dear Niall,

When I went to secondary school in Galway I was so excited to be going to big school and how your innocence and preceptions can be infleunced by your friends you make and your peers. My experience with bullying was that I sat beside a very nice individual who was gay and this meant that I was automatically targeted as an outcast.

When the chap left in 3 rd year I was then targeted as the class loser and couldn’t repeat the names and things these people would do.

The ringleader was himself a victim of a terrible up bringing in Scotland and he was sent to live with his Uncle .

The bullied became the bullier and things got so bad that I buried the torment and emotions for years . It is only today at 45 that with the help of counselling that you can open that shut door and let this emotion away .

It is easy to turn the other way and not want to get involved but it is also so important that if you are being bullied to stand up and tell the Teacher or your Parents what is going on. No one has the right to take away your innocence or force their bullying habits on you.

We need to stand up and not let these people away from what they do and the permanent damage they can cause to others which can lead to problems in later life.

Peer pressure can often make it hard for others in the class to get involved or tell the teacher or they may just want impress the leader.

We need to teach people that human beings and your classmate is your friend and they have as much right to be there and enjoy there lives .

Bullies cannot be allowed to transferred to 3 schools and nothing done to stop them creating carnage in another school. They need help as well as the victim.

It was great to see such strong reaction for Anti Bullying week but please dont let it be a forgotten topic that will be buried inside someone without being resolved.

6. Lucy

I have contacted the education welfare officer via mail.I have rang 15 times and left my number to ring me back but I am still waiting after four days.
    I have contacted the child and family agency in navan and left a message to contact me .
    I have emailed childprotection@education.gov.ie.

Who do I contact about my child being bullied ?
    Many thanks