George Hook says sorry for rape comments

Newstalk’s George Hook says he failed in his duty of care and has apologised for comments about rape on his show last week.

George claimed that a woman was partly to blame for her own rape, but started his show on Monday with a profound apology saying he should not have said the comments.

The show’s sponsor, the Dalata Hotel Group, has since tweeted that its commercial arrangement with the station has been terminated.

His statement in full:

“On Friday September 8th I made comments about rape on the programme which were totally inappropriate and unacceptable and I should never have made them. I realise that those comments caused widespread hurt and offence and for this too I am truly sorry. I would particularly like to apologise to all victims of rape, the families, the representatives of the organisations who work day and night to reduce the stigma around rape. And also for those who try to increase reporting of crime involving sexual violence against men and women. It was wrong of me to suggest that any blame could be attributed to those victims or that they bear any responsibility in the crimes committed against them. By doing that I played a part in perpetuating the stigma and I unreservedly apologise for doing so. Everybody has the right to enjoy themselves without fear of being attacked and as a society we have a duty to our daughters and granddaughters to protect that right. On Friday, I failed in that duty of care, a failure I deeply regret and for which I am truly sorry.”

A spokesperson for Newstalk declined to comment.

You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.