Tributes paid to radio programmer Eddie West

Former Downtown Radio and Cool FM Programme Controller, and original Radio Nova presenter Eddie West has died.

The 63-year-old Eddie worked at many radio stations around Ireland, including Capitol and ARD, and most recently set up Fever40 and Kixx90 – internet stations based in Northern Ireland.

He also helped set up Beaumont Hospital Radio in Dublin in the early 90s.

In 2007 Eddie spoke about his batter against cancer and how he was given the all clear.

Fever40 has posted a tribute to Eddie on Facebook, saying: “It is with deep sorrow and heavy hearts that we announce the passing of our station founder and boss Eddie West. Eddie will be sadly missed by everyone at #Fever40Radio and we send our sympathy to the family circle.”

Friend and former colleague Enda Caldwell said: “Eddie West was a lovely guy to work with, a nice and friendly colleague to me during my time at Cool FM within the Downtown Radio complex at Kiltonga and was one of those people who knew the RIGHT songs and when to play them.

“He will be dearly missed by all his friends and family as he was a genuine, caring and lovely man. It’s a very sad day for radio.”

Comments are open for your memories of Eddie West.

You might also like

17 Comments

1. Jack Delaney on Facebook says

dave i only knew eddie at beaumont hospital raido met him a few times nice man and funny he set up beaumont hospital raido up i done a bit of trainning on the equment eddie will be missed by all

1. David Baker says

Really sorry to hear this news. Eddie was a person who lived and breathed radio. Very gifted in all departments and will be very sadly missed. My sincere condolences to his family and wide circle of radio friends

2. Justin McGurk says

Very saddened to hear Eddie West has passed away. Eddie was one of the first Djs and programmers to playlist my music at Downtown Radio. I will always be grateful for his encouragement and for his championing of local artists. RIP Eddy . From Justin McGurk

3. Kevin Wearen says

Eddie was fun to be with ,great memories of our time with Eddie as Head chef and Beaumont Hospital radio controller and director. What a kind and gentle soul may he be at peace in the great studio in the sky.

4. PAUL BUCKLE says

Worked with Eddie on a number of radio projects over the years, great voice and always “happy to help” . Very sad to hear the news this morning. Condolences to his family.

5. Richard west says

Rest in peace Eddie. Xx from Richard anna and family

6. Patrick Hugh Lynch says

Eddie West was to Radio what Michaelangelo was to the Cistine Chapel – A True Artist.

May You Walk in the Garden of Everlasting Sunshine.

7. Mark says

I worked with Eddie on Downtown Radio becoming his unofficial Sidekick on Eddie’s Rock N Gold Sundays with chats and Anagrams for about 7 yrs. Eddie taught me allot about the radio and production side of things. The banter we had off air and in between songs will be a lasting memory.

Rest in peace my friend and mentor.

8. Sam McFerran says

Really sorry to hear this news. A Real Gentleman. My deepest and sincere sympathy to the family circle.

9. Steve Marshall says

I first met Eddie many years ago at Capitol Radio in 1982 in Dundrum in Dublin. One of the nicest kindest and funniest people I have ever met. We got back in contact a couple of years ago. Eddie of course worked for Downtown Radio for many years, and the original Radio Nova, and ARD etc, and a few years ago set up a couple of internet friendly radio stations. Eddie wanted advice on how to do it, and we spent many hours making sure that it all sounded right. What a decent human being, and a real gentleman too, Eddie was one of radio’s and life’s nice guys, who always had time for everyone. A great friend to many, myself included.My thoughts are with his family and friends. Rest in peace Eddie.

10. Pat says

Sad news of Eddie’s passing. Worked with him on Beaumont Hospital Radio. A true gentleman.