Anton Savage exits Today FM after disagreements
Today FM morning presenter Anton Savage has left the station with immediate effect today.
A statement released on his programmes official Twitter account said Anton had different objectives for the show than the management did, disagreeing on music, topics, formats and guests.
The station has also released a statement, saying it has decided not to renew Anton’s contract.
Here’s what Anton had to say:
22 months ago, I set out working with a brilliant bunch of people to create a magazine show we could be proud of between 9 and 12 on TodayFM. We were told the objective was to create a great show and retain 65% or more of the previous audience.
The task of doing that was brilliant. Fun, challenging and collegiate. The team on the Anton Savage Show could not have worked harder or been more creative or dedicated, and it was through their hard work that we were awarded our PPI Award for Magazine Show of the Year this year, and covered topics and guests ranging from Hollywood stars to human interest, from news and views to daft stunts.
Over the last year it became clear that my objectives for the show and the new management’s objectives for the show diverged greatly. We disagreed on a move to set music quotas, we disagreed on significant changes to the playlist, we disagreed on topics for discussion, on format, on choice of contributors and we disagreed on the choice of certain guests.
It led to a situation where we have parted ways.
I am hugely disappointed not to be continuing to work with the fabulous team on the show, I, hugely disappointed not to be continuing to work with the other show teams who could not have been more supportive and helpful, and I am particularly disappointed not to be able to continue the relationship we had developed with the people who texted each day and who listened in homes, offices, cars and trucks around the country. I’d have loved to be allowed to tell them goodbye.
I wish my team and all the people in the station the best.
Keith McCormack, Chief Executive of Today FM, said: “Following a detailed review of the schedule, the station is in the process of refreshing its line-up and focus. As part of this we have decided that we will not renew Anton’s contract. I would like to thank Anton for his commitment and dedication to the station and I wish him the very best with his career. Full details of Today FM’s new schedule will be announced early in 2017.”
And in true independent radio style, Anton’s show has now been removed from the station’s website with no news of who’ll be hosting the show on Monday morning.
Anton and TodayFM have parted ways. pic.twitter.com/lE34Ikg3vw
— Anton Savage (@AntonSavageShow) December 2, 2016