Newstalk has announced it has officially suspended George Hook following his comments about rape last week.
Newstalk issued a statement via social media saying: “Newstalk has confirmed that George Hook has been suspended from his duties at the station. The process regarding his comments last week is ongoing.”
The reaction comes a week after the events happened on-air at the national Communicorp station.
Last week, the station issued an unreserved apology for George Hook’s comments about rape on the station. Managing Editor, Patricia Monahan said that comments made were “totally wrong and inappropriate and should never have been made.”
George Hook has also apologised for his comments. He said: “I wish to apologise unreservedly for comments I made about rape on my radio programme on Newstalk yesterday. It was unacceptable to suggest in any way that blame could be attributed to victims of rape. I apologise for the comments which caused hurt and offence, and for this I am truly sorry.”
His sponsor, Dalata Hotel Group, said it had terminated its advertising deal with the station as a result.
Newstalk can confirm that George Hook has been suspended from his duties at the station. The process re: his comments last week is ongoing.
— Newstalk (@NewstalkFM) September 15, 2017