“The five of us are determined to be back on air together as soon as possible,” says a statement from the former Newstalk team.
The five has issued a notice saying they are sorry they didn’t get chance to say goodbye and explained the situation leading to their apparent sudden departure.
It says they have been talking with station bosses about ways to take the programme forward but failed to agree on ways to do so. Presenters Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan walked out on Monday just hours before the show was due to start.
The statement reads:
Over the last 18 months we have been in discussions with Newstalk about ways to develop our programme. Unfortunately there are fundamental differences of opinion between management and ourselves about the show’s future potential and its ability to grow an audience at an earlier time.
We’re gutted to leave behind something we love but after eight years we feel it’s vital that our product continues to evolve and improve.
We would like to sincerely thank Newstalk for giving us a chance to put the show together.
We won’t have the opportunity to say goodbye on air, so thanks to everyone who has supported us over the years and over the past 24 hours – particularly our listeners, who are the best in the country.
The five of us are determined to be back on air together as soon as possible.
The programme had been on-air at Newstalk for a decade and has won nine PPI Radio Awards in the last 10 years.